If you apply to an undergraduate degree course at UAL, it’s common for us to ask you to submit a comprehensive portfolio and to show considerable knowledge of your subject. We recognise that many applicants may not have this experience. Particularly those who have recently completed A-Levels or an equal level of study.
Our pre-degree courses help you build upon existing knowledge and define a particular area of interest. You will develop the skills, experience and body of work needed to apply for an undergraduate course.
Our Colleges offer several types of pre-degree courses, including courses designed only for international students.
Foundation Diploma in Art and Design
UAL’s Foundation Diploma in Art and Design (FAD) courses were the first in the UK to be awarded the new ‘Outstanding’ grade by Ofsted in 2017. It is a common route into practice-based undergraduate study at UAL and is open to applications from UK, EU and international students. The year-long courses allow you to explore various art and design disciplines, experiment with a range of materials, methods and approaches and build a portfolio.
Successful completion of one of our FAD courses will guarantee you a place on one of our undergraduate courses. The undergraduate course offer will be linked to the specialist pathway you choose to take during the FAD. There are also some additional requirements that you’ll need to meet in order to receive an undergraduate course offer. Full details can be found on the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design page of our website.
Pre-degree courses for international students
UAL offers a range of pre-degree courses designed specifically for international students, each of which provides English language support and academic writing guidance throughout. Click on the links below to find out more about each of our courses.
- Level 3: International Introduction to the Study of Design, Media and Screen
- Certificate in Higher Education: Preparation for Design, Media and Screen
- International: Introduction to the Study of Fashion
- International Preparation for Fashion (Certificate in Higher Education)
Preparatory courses for international students
Several of UAL’s Colleges also offer a selection of short courses designed to help international students develop the skills, experience and knowledge required for entry to more advanced courses.
- Camberwell, Chelsea and Wimbledon Colleges of Arts offer six-week Preparation Courses to international students applying to study a Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, undergraduate degree course or postgraduate degree course at UAL.
- Central Saint Martins offers a nine-week Orientation to Art and Design course to help international students gain the skills, experience and knowledge required for entry to a Foundation Diploma in Art and Design course. This course runs throughout the academic year. Please check the website for a list of start dates.